George Henry Scherling, the only child of George F. and Louise (Niemeier) Scherling was born August 3, 1921 in Carroll, Iowa, and passed away on December 25, 2017 at the Wilber Care Center. He was baptized August 19, 1921 by Rev. Albert Mueller. He moved with his parents at the age of 9 months to a farm east of Plymouth. At the age of 7 years he moved to a farm north of Plymouth. He attended rural school in District 109 in Saline County and Immanuel Lutheran School two miles east of Plymouth. He was confirmed May 26, 1935 by Rev. Joseph Gerken. George served in the US Air Corps during WWII from October 26, 1942 until January 3, 1946 as an airplane and engine mechanic at Dyersburg, Tennessee. He was very proud of his service to our country. He had many stories that he told of his work on the B-17's. George and Edna (Malchow) were married May 27, 1945 at Zion Lutheran Church, Ellis, Nebraska. They had five children. \n \n \n \nHe started farming in 1946, working with his father in the early years. He took over the family farm north of Plymouth and continued farming into his early 80's. He remained living on the family farmstead until February of 2017 when his health was failing and he needed skilled nursing care. He loved the land and worked hard all his life, along with his wife Edna. He took great pride in his farm and raised lots of livestock to support the family. He enjoyed his grandchildren and took great pride in their accomplishments. In his later years he also enjoyed his great-grandchildren. \n \n \n \nHe was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church of rural Plymouth, until 1984 when the church closed. When First Trinity and Immanuel merged he drove the school bus taking children from Plymouth to Trinity Lutheran Church near Beatrice and driving them back in the afternoon. He then became a member of Trinity Lutheran Church of DeWitt. He served on various committees in the church and was active in the community, serving on the Lutheran Hospital board in Beatrice. He also helped build the elevator in Plymouth working the night shift. \n \n \n \nSurvivors include his children, Daniel Scherling and wife Connie of DeWitt, Arlene Scherling of DeWitt; Jean Huff and husband Allen of Sutherland, Doctor Donald Scherling and wife Doris of Norfolk, Connecticut, and Roy Scherling and wife Peggy, of DeWitt; 10 grandchildren, Debra Weichel and husband Chad, Brian Scherling and wife Bobbie, Serena Gorski and husband Steven, David Huff and wife Amanda, Holly Anderson and husband Charlie, Jonathan, Joshua and Johanna Scherling, Jordan and Grant Scherling; one step-grandson Anthony Mustone and ten great-grandchildren, Kailey and Gavin Weichel, Karli, Kenzi and Kaylin Scherling, Henry Huff , Casimir, Marek, Elliot, and Olive Gorski; three step-great grandchildren Mia, Devin and Lance Wright. Brothers in law Deverne Malchow and Norman Tegtmeier and sister in law Marlene Malchow, many nieces and nephews. \n \n \n \nHe was preceded in death by his parents, George F. and Louise (Niemeier) Scherling, his wife, Edna, parents in law Daniel and Marie Malchow. Brothers and sisters in law, Oscar & Milda Rosenthal, Arthur & Elsie Rosenthal, Arnold & Martha Rosenthal, Viola Tegtmeier, Clarence, Armin, and Marvin Malchow, Gardenia Malchow and Beverly Malchow. \n \n \n \nFuneral services will be held at 11:00 AM Monday, January 1, 2018 at the Trinity Lutheran Church in DeWitt with Reverend Sean Koos officiating. Interment will be at the Oak Grove Cemetery, DeWitt with military graveside services provided by the United State Air Force, and the DeWitt Legion and VFW Clubs. The body will lie in state from 12-6:00 Saturday at the Griffiths-Hovendick Chapel in Beatrice, 12-6:00 Sunday at the Venrick-Griffiths-Hovendick Chapel in DeWitt with the family greeting friends from 4-6:00 Sunday in DeWitt. A family prayer service will be held at 10:45 AM Monday at the church. In lieu of flowers, a memorial has been established to the family's choice with the funeral home in charge. Sign George's online guest book at www.ghchapel.com. \n \n \n \nThese services have been entrusted to the Griffiths-Hovendick Chapel in Beatrice.